- Santa Barbara has 53 parks of all kinds, giving it the most open space per capita than any other city in the US.
- The first offshore oil drilling development in the world was constructed off the coast of Santa Barbara and is still used today.
- During the era of silent film, Santa Barbara was home to the world's largest movie studio, Flying A Studios. The industry later moved to Hollywood, when it outgrew the area and resources.
- The Island Night Lizard is a species of reptile that can only be found on the Channel Islands off the coast of Santa Barbara.
- The first "reality TV" show to be broadcasted was An American Family, which documented a family that lived in Santa Barbara. PBS aired the show in 1971.
Other Locales in California